Blogs > Grizzlies Den

Drew Ellis covers Oakland University basketball for The Oakland Press. His news and notes keep you up to date with Golden Grizzlies men's basketball.

Monday, May 10, 2010

OU recruit Jenna Bachrouche getting kicks back on the soccer field

Incoming Oakland recruit Jenna Bachrouche has been playing tenacious defense this spring – and it hasn’t been on the hardwood. The 6-footer has been starting in net for the North Farmington girls soccer team, and is not only winning, but is 4-1, with all four wins coming in shutouts. She picked up her most recent blanking Monday, when the Raiders beat cross-town rival Farmington Hills Harrison, 4-0.
“The defense has been protecting me a lot, I wouldn’t really have all the shutouts I’ve had without them. It’s been fun, I’ve been having a blast,” Bachrouche said.

Bachrouche verbally committed to Beckie Francis’ program last summer, but made it official during the early signing period last November. She was surprised Francis gave her the blessing to play soccer, noting her friends on the team really pushed her to return to the squad after a two-year absence.

“It was surprising. I was hesitant to ask them, but I went for it and I’m really glad I have their support,” she said.

Bachrouche injured her knee on the first day of tryouts in her sophomore season, and just wanted to focus on basketball her junior year.

“I thought I was going to hang up the shoes, but this year, my friends encouraged me to do it and it would be a good way to stay in shape, I figure why not?,” Bachrouche said.

Raiders coach Tim Russell said Bachrouche is intimidating in net, and had she been between the pipes her entire career at North Farmington, she could have been an all-state goalkeeper.

“She's got a lot of foot skills that help her out. She likes playing in net because it helps her out with her basketball skills,” Russell said.

Bachrouche averaged 14.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game this year for the Raiders girls basketball team, finishing her career with 1,218 career points.

Bachrouche comes from a family rooted in soccer, where all four children played the sport. Her sister, Katya, is now a swimmer at the University of Virginia.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home