Blogs > Grizzlies Den

Drew Ellis covers Oakland University basketball for The Oakland Press. His news and notes keep you up to date with Golden Grizzlies men's basketball.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thames excited about transfer to SVSU

Oakland coach Greg Kampe recently confirmed the transfer of redshirt freshman Jay Thames to Saginaw Valley State University. The 6-foot-8 forward saw action in 17 games, but likely saw a logjam of big men with the addition of signees Corey Petros and Kyle Sikora.
"The fit is much better," Thames told the Port Huron Times Herald. "They said they need a player like me. I'm going to be used as one of their main inside guys. I can play inside and outside. I will be one of the main people on the team helping them accomplish things."
Thames is eligible to play in the coming season because he is moving from an NCAA Division I school to Division II, and will still have three years of eligibility remaining.
Thames, a native of Port Huron, told the Times Herald that his area of study played into his decision-making process while seeking a new school. The paper said he was also considering Grand Valley State University and Mercyhurst and had reportedly been looking at Wayne State University.
He previously told the paper he enjoyed Oakland's successful run to the NCAA tournament, but he didn't feel as much a part of the party because he wasn't playing very much.
"The lack of playing time at Oakland motivates me a lot. I want to show people I can play. I haven't played in two years. Now I have the freedom to do something. I'm planning on getting better every year," he was quoted in the Times Herald.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home