Blogs > Grizzlies Den

Paul Kampe (no relation to Greg Kampe) covers Oakland University basketball for The Oakland Press. His news and notes keep you up to date with the Golden Grizzlies men's and women's teams.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Hamilton adjusting to role without the rock

Reggie Hamilton's first season with the Golden Grizzlies was supposed to also be his first at the point guard position. That idea was nixed before the season even started. He seems to have adjusted quite well to moving without the ball, becoming one of the team's best shooters from the field and coming through in crunch time.
"All summer, I had the ball in my hands 90 percent of the time," Hamilton said last week. "So, it's kind of hard running down the court without the ball, (but) I'm getting used to it."
Hamilton led all scorers with 23 points, shooting 8 for 14 in the Grizzlies' conference season opener Thursday against Southern Utah.
"I've always been a scorer, but it's gotten better this year," he said. "I've been more efficient, and my confidence hasn't even been at its highest level yet. That year off (due to NCAA transfer rules) might have done the job."
Coach Greg Kampe acknowledged that Hamilton, the team leader in turnovers (31), will be needed for his scoring.
"I can play Reggie (at point guard), but I want (him) scoring," Kampe said last week. "We need Reggie to score for us to be successful. I want him off the ball. He wants to go get the ball and I get mad at him when he does that, (but) I want him to shoot the ball. I don't want him to be a distributor. It'll work it's way out."
It certainly worked against Hamilton's former team, UMKC, Saturday night, when he scored 16 points in the 99-62 rout.
"He handled it with class," Kampe said on WXOU Monday. "It would be easy to run your mouth and lip off and gloat, and he didn't."
Hamilton is the team's second-leading scorer (behind center Keith Benson) out of conference (14.7 ppg) and tied with Benson at 19.5 ppg in league play. Also, in those two games of conference play, Hamilton is averaging the same amount of turnovers per game (about 4), but his scoring and shooting percentage have remained strong (60 percent). So what's a coach to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home