Blogs > Grizzlies Den

Drew Ellis covers Oakland University basketball for The Oakland Press. His news and notes keep you up to date with Golden Grizzlies men's basketball.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Oakland lands Dayton transfer Ralph Hill

Dayton transfer Ralph Hill announced via Twitter Sunday night he would be playing for Oakland in the 2013-14 season, saying: "Next year I will be attending Oakland University!!! Blessed to have this opportunity!"
The 6-foot-6, 220-pound Hill will be forced to sit out the 2012-13 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
Hill only played seven games in his freshman season in 2010-11. He played 25 games last season, but did not start, averaging just 1.4 points and 1.9 rebounds per game as a sophomore.
Hill was granted his release by coach Archie Miller May 1.
“I really love UD, but I’ve played basketball all my life and finding the best role and fit for my future is what has brought me to this decision,” Hill said in a statement announcing his departure.“This is one of the toughest choices I’ve ever had to make. I know I will always follow the guys (I’ve been teammates with). They are my brothers. But sometimes you have to do what you think is best for you."
Hill could be an inside presence once eligible, replacing departed Kyle Sikora and teaming with a junior Corey Petros and a sophomore Lloyd Neely.
In addition to Sikora's exit, Oakland also learned it would not be immediately seeing commit Michael Lewis because of academic issues.
Duke Mondy, expected to start at point guard this season, is the latest transfer to hit the floor for Oakland after parting with Providence. The Golden Grizzlies also played Laval Lucas-Perry (Michigan) and Reggie Hamilton (UMKC), both transfers, in the backcourt last season while Hamilton's predecessor, Larry Wright, landed at Oakland after leaving St. John's.
Hill is a former Division I All-Ohio Third Team from Westerville North High School. He averaged 22.6 points per game his senior season.
The Flyers lost to Iowa in the first round of the NIT and finished 20-13 in Miller's maiden campaign in 2011-12.  
Hill also visited Cleveland State and was reportedly choosing between Oakland and Akron. 
Former Oakland standout Brian Gregory coached the Flyers until last season when he took over at Georgia Tech.  
UPDATE: Hill said this Monday about the Gregory-Oakland connection: “I actually didn’t know that until one of the coaches, maybe Coach Tungate or Coach Kampe told me they had talked to BG and he had said something about me. It was funny how it ended up working out like that.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home