PREGAME NOTES: Oakland vs. Milwaukee
Oakland coach Greg Kampe didn't overlook how much the win over Valparaiso was for his program.
"An 0-2 start would have been disastrous," he said. "It's a big week for us." Wednesday's game, which will not be affected by a water main break at the adjacent Recreation Center which was reported Wednesday morning, tips off at 7:05 p.m. and can be seen on the Horizon League Network.
Kampe previews the game in the video below:
- The Golden Grizzlies are seven-point favorites vs. the Panthers, who lead the all-time series, 6-1, though Oakland is 1-1 vs. Milwaukee in its Division I era. The schools haven't met since Dec. 2, 2006 at the O'rena, a 76-70 Oakland victory.
- Oakland has won three of its last four games and is averaging 81.5 points per game in that span, while shooting 49.5 percent.
- The Golden Grizzlies are 6-1 this season at the O'rena, while the Panthers have four road wins this season.
- Oakland was selected fourth in the Horizon League preseason poll, while Milwaukee was picked ninth.
- The Panthers are coming off their best non-conference campaign in program history, 10-4, surpassing their win total for the entire 2012-13. However, Milwaukee suffered a 77-49 loss to Cleveland State after a conference-opening win over Youngstown State.
- The Golden Grizzlies have been outrebounded in all but four games this season, but are outrebounding opponents by more than five boards per game at the O'rena. (Two of those games have been against non-Division I competition.)
- Oakland is 6-1 this season when it attempts more free throws than its opponents. It is averaging 28 attempts per game in its six wins, but just 18 attempts in its 11 losses.
- Travis Bader is in the home stretch of his chase for J.J. Redick's career 3-point mark. Bader needs just 20 more 3s to reset the record. He is averaging 4.8 triples per game. If he maintains that average, he could break the record Jan. 22 at Green Bay.
- Oakland coach Greg Kampe will host his weekly radio show at the O'rena following tonight's game at 10 p.m. on WDFN-AM (1130).
- The next game on tap for the Golden Grizzlies is their much anticipated matchup with Detroit, the programs' first in 10 years, at Calihan Hall. The Titans return the trip to the O'rena Feb. 14.
- The second installment of the acclaimed "Oakland Basketball All-Access" series will air Jan. 24 at 5:30 p.m. on Fox Sports Detroit. The final episodes will air Feb. 21 and March 21 (tentatively).